Availability: In Stock
This genuine Made in USA product is hand crafted and finished exclusively by Ken's Clock Clinic from the highest quality Gibbs Blue Tempered Spring Steel. It measures .008" x .220" x 72 ", perfect for the vast majority of Style F self winding clocks. It comes pre-wound, pre-lubricated, and ready to install. Our internal reference number is KCC-MS-00822072.
Have you thought about why you are replacing your SWCC mainspring? It is important to note that often customers replace mainsprings thinking they have "gone dead" or have lost their power. Having restored nearly 1000 Style F and Style A movements, we have NEVER found this to be the case. We replace mainsprings only when they are excessively rusted, fractured in a compromising spot (due to previous bad repair attempts), or in some other way irreparably distorted, or have gone missing. There is virtually no other reason to ever replace mainsprings in Self Winding Clock Co. movements.
Yes, we recognize that if you follow our advice you may not purchase our spring, and that's fine. It is more important to find the root cause of the problem with the movement first, before replacing the spring. And, it's always preferable to keep the original spring in the movement if it is serviceable, as most are.
If you have decided to replace your mainspring because the clock seems to need more power, please consider re-diagnosing your movement and look for the following:
- Make sure the Graham Dead Beat escapement is properly set up. We have found that many escape wheels are worn to where the escapement no longer operates with lock. If the terminology "escapement lock" or "Graham Dead Beat Escapement" are unfamiliar, it would be beneficial to read and thoroughly understand pp. 100-129 of Laurie Penman's Practical Clock Escapements (this book is available on Amazon). Replacing a mainspring is no substitute for a properly set up escapement.
- Check pivots and holes. Most movements are extremely worn. Wear in the second wheel or escape wheel hole will stop a self winding clock movement dead. If you rebush, leave proper side shake to prevent binding!
- Check end shake. We encounter many movements where previous attempts at repair have left plates distorted, bent, etc., thus compromising end shake and binding the movement.
If in doubt, we are happy to "examine' your mainspring for you through pictures. Send a few to us and we will render our opinion on it.
Important Note: Clock winders and synchronizers are built in batches once per month. Please be prepared for a 3-4 week lead time on these. Timing products (such as the Model 1900S and 1900W series) require pre-shipment calibration and verification which requires time to validate quality performance (2 weeks).
Unless otherwise noted at Checkout, a handling fee of $5.00 is included in each order (also covers packaging material) in the continental United States. Therefore the total shipping number shown in Checkout is the sum of the actual fee (from the carrier, usually UPS) plus this handling fee. Our standard carrier is UPS 3-Day in the USA and UPS International outside the USA.
We try to maintain a policy of "no minimum order dollar amount," but handling fees cannot be avoided.
Policy on return shipping: Customer assumes responsibility for shipping and handling costs, regardless of reason. Restated: Customer pays for return shipping and handling in all cases, including warranty returns.
Ken's Clock Clinic reserves the right to adjust shipping fees or carriers to accommodate order size. If an adjustment is necessary you will be notified prior to shipment. This especially applies to international orders, although we strive to provide and adhere to best estimate possible at time of order.
Important Information and Warranty Terms
Prices are shown in U.S. Dollars (USD).
We make every attempt to provide information needed to choose the right product. We encourage you to contact us if in doubt. Restocking charge is 20% of product purchase price on most models. We do not pay return postage if you choose the wrong product. We no longer carry non-renewable batteries to avoid problems with returns.
If you change your mind and don't want the product, you will receive a store credit. We no longer issue refunds, for example, if you buy a set of batteries, the clock doesn't work, and you refuse our help on the movement. We are happy to exchange for another product with a 20% restocking fee and subject to our standard shipping policy.
We have terms on our generous warranty to avoid our generosity being exploited. We do NOT warranty product that has been disassembled, tampered with, modified, or abused. Our products are not hobby or experiment platforms and are not meant to be used for this purpose. You will pay replacement price if you modify or disassemble the product, damage it, then attempt to return it for warranty repair.
We strive to learn from any defective product. If a unit is modified or disassembled, this destroys the root cause traceability and an opportunity to improve product is lost.
There are some products (for example, the Model 1900WG-4.5V) which are non-returnable due to their low sales volume or custom nature. These are noted in the product description. Please contact us to verify application before purchase.
On-line purchases are processed securely. Credit card purchasing is available through this system. Please contact us if you wish to purchase via some other means.
Sales tax of 8.15% will be applied to residents of Colorado; or home office is based in Broomfield, CO.
What is covered by our 5 year warranty on Renewable Units:
- Internal battery holder
- Internal wiring and electronics, connectors (all products)
- Rechargeable Cell on 1900R units, subject to pro-rating.
The only products subject to pro-rating are the 1900R family rechargeables. With these, for every year from manufacture you will need to pay $10.00 plus return shipping to have it refurbished. The 1900R products are serialized for tracking purposes.
What is NOT covered by our 5 year warranty on Renewable Units:
- We do NOT cover the internal alkaline cells which are user replaceable.
- Any unit which has been tampered with or altered voids warranty.
- Return shipping is users responsibility.
- Products over 5 years old and any 1900R with a 1000 series serial number. If your 1900R with 1000 series serial number fails, we will happily replace it with a new Model 1900R3 at its normal purchase price. 1000 series units are now over 12 years from last manufacture.
Summary - Self Winding Clock Mainspring
Availability: In Stock